|Please note that this is the Dragon Ball Universe Wiki's article on Vegeta. If you are looking for the article on his father then you should head to Vegeta. For other uses, see Vegeta (disambiguation).|
"Kakarrot, you are one incredible guy...I was absolutely no match against Majin Bū. You are the only one who can fight with him. I think I see at last, why I could never beat you. At first, I thought it was because you had something to protect — that having a strong mind towards defending something gave rise to some mysterious power...That certainly may be true, but if that were it, then it would have been the same for me, now. It was to have my own way, it was for my own enjoyment, it was to kill my enemies, and it was for my own pride which I had fought. But, Kakarrot, you were different. You don't fight in order to win, you fight in order to be certain that you don't lose, and in order to keep reaching your limits. That's why you never killed your enemies...why you refused to kill me. It's as if you knew I would come to have the slightest bit of a heart. It's so maddening! A Saiyan who loves to fight — and is kind?! Hang in there, Kakarrot! You are Number One!"
Prince Vegeta (ベジータ, Bejīta) is one of the last surviving members of the Saiyan race. Initially an elite combatant in Freeza's Army, Vegeta became a loose ally of Son Gokū and his friends while on Namek and gradually became their comrade. He soon becomes an instrumental warrior in maintaining the peace on Earth.
Vegeta was introduced as a an aggressive, cold, merciless and unrepentant villain, as he would destroy anything or anyone without a second thought, mostly due to his Saiyan nature.
Vegeta is largely characterized by his immense pride (stemming from his royalty among the Saiyan ranks), refusing to be bested by opponents who are lower than him in terms of power level (when he fights Gokū). It has helped and harmed him in countless battles, such as his fight with Dodoria and Zarbon, Android 19 & later 18 after attaining his Super Saiyan form, and the time he lets Cell in his second form reach his Developed Form. It's that reason he has a hard time showing his feelings, and also because of that pride, he aims the to be the strongest warrior in the universe.
Befitting his nature, Vegeta uses the personal pronoun 'ore' (俺), a masculine pronoun that can sound arrogant, suiting Vegeta's proud personality. There also are moments where Vegeta slips into the use of 'ore-sama' (俺様), an exceedingly arrogant variation of 'ore'.
Vegeta is very serious and intelligent (though his pride can cloud his better judgement). He a determined fighter who undergoes hard training, pushing past his limits to achieve results, to this end is the reason he desires to surpass Gokū.
Despite his antipathy towards others, Vegeta does in fact have a caring side; he loved his father dearly and followed Freeza's orders so his father wouldn't be killed. As a father and husband, Vegeta initially showed little care for Bulma and their son Trunks. Even refusing to save them when Doctor Gero tried to kill them to cause a distraction. After his son's future counterpart was killed by Cell, Vegeta showed fatherly instincts for the very first time and assaulted the android. This greatly shocked his wife's future counterpart, who never saw that side of him. Afterwards, he took a more active role in raising his present son, often training him and motivating him to train even if his son doesn't want to.
In a losing battle against Majin Bū, before sacrificing his life, he hugged Trunks and silently gave him, Bulma, and Gokū his regards before self-destructing with Majin Bū in order to atone for his sins. Years later, he had also became livid and briefly attacked Beerus, the Hakaishin, when the latter slapped the former's wife.
During Gokū's final battle with Majin Bū, he finally admits his inferiority to the former, based on their morals and power levels. Though he later develops a rivalry with Gokū.
As the years progressed, Vegeta grew to care about all of the Dragon Team, having thrown away his pride and started cooking takoyaki to keep Beerus from destroying Earth.
Despite becoming more integrated with the Dragon Team, he retains his habit of sitting on the sidelines while everyone else enjoy themselves.
Upon learning of the Saiyans in the Sixth Universe, Vegeta took a special interest in Cabba. During their battle in the Sixth Universe and Seventh Universe Hakaishin Selection Martial Arts Competition, after Cabba asked Vegeta to teach him how to transform, the Prince obliged. However, he had to fool Cabba into thinking he was a ruthless space pirate once more to trigger Cabba's anger for the Super Saiyan transformation. After their battle, Vegeta declared Cabba to be another rival to him to encourage him to reach even greater heights than the Super Saiyan transformation. As Piccolo noted, Vegeta, as the Prince of the Saiyans, cares a lot about his people now, a compete change from how he was before.
Vegeta has a signature hair style that firmly stands upwards, with a prominent widow's peak. Like all Saiyans, he possesses black eyes, jet black hair that never grows in length, and had a tail before it was cut off by Yajirobe. Vegeta is noticeably shorter than Gokū. Vegeta continues to don the traditional Saiyan armor for a large portion of his appearances, until he integrates into Earthly society eventually favoring clothing more characteristic of a human altogether. Very briefly, after training in the Room of Spirit and Time with Gokū for three years, Vegeta grew facial hair, specifically a mustache and beard, though it was soon shaved.
Creation and Conception
- Vegeta's name is a pun on vegetable.
- Vegeta is the first antagonist of the overall series to seek the Dragon Balls for immortality.
- Though rarely, he has addressed Gokū by his Earthling name, rather than his Saiyan name.
- Despite wanting to surpass Gokū, the latter has never defeated him. Though it could be that Gokū wounded his pride (considering his elite rank).
- Vegeta constantly refers himself as Prince of the Saiyans despite technically being the King since his father's death.
- Vegeta, while being controlled by Baby, is the only user to have shown the ability to fly while being transformed into a Great Monkey.
- Despite all pure-blooded Saiyans having black hair — a statement from Vegeta himself — Vegeta's hair is often portrayed as brown or maroon in most forms of the media except the anime, where it is a stark black. The same applies to Vegetto.
- According to the Dragon Ball Super rival 'danger scale', Vegeta places three stars out of twelve.
- (Upon rescuing Gokū from Android 19) "Nobody kills Kakarot while I'm around. Destiny has reserved that pleasure for me!"
- (To Android 19) "That's right, my friend. Now let me ask you: does a machine like yourself ever experience fear?!"
- (To Cell) "Now, I'm going to show you what true power really is! That's right! I'm Super Vegeta!"
- (To Babidi, when breaking free from his control) "It will take more than head games to stop me! You may have invaded my mind and my body, but there's one thing a Saiyan always keeps...His pride!"
- (To Majin Bū) "What are you gawking at!? What, did you think that I was gonna roll over and die from an attack like that? You're nothing, just a trickster! I am the Saiyan Prince, Vegeta!"
- (When preparing to sacrifice himself to kill Majin Bū) "Trunks... Bulma... I do this for you... and yes, even for you, Kakarot!"
- ↑ Daizenshū 4, page 41
- ↑ Daizenshū 10, page 116
- ↑ Dragon Ball GT: Perfect Files Vol. 1, page 75
- ↑ Super Exciting Guide Character Guide, page 12
- ↑ Dragon Ball Volume "F", page 10
- ↑ Daizenshū 2
- ↑ Dragon Ball Z: Burn Up!! A Red-Hot, Raging, Super-Fierce Fight
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 8.2 Dragon Ball Super Exciting Guide: Character Volume
- ↑ Dragon Ball Super episode 32
- ↑ “Dragon Ball Super” Rivals Super Biographies!!!